FLAME TREE INITIATIVE
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
DELab: February 5-10, 2018
Malawi University of Science and Technology
Do you want to be a development entrepreneur? Do you want to explore how the business sector can create positive social change? Do you have an idea that could solve a pressing local challenge? Do you need support to help to establish and grow your enterprise?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, the Development Entrepreneurship Lab (DELab) is appropriate for you. It is a part of our intensive development enterprise training program, designed by the Flame Tree Initiative in partnership first with Mzuzu University and now with Malawi University of Science and Technology (MUST).
- This program combines the most effective components from business support organizations around the world to create a comprehensive experience that will produce leaders in the DE field.
- Our global mentorship network will work with participants to maximize their effectiveness and readiness for startup funding.
- The latest technologies and methods will be employed as entrepreneurs gain expertise in the tools necessary to make their enterprises both profitable and impactful.
Our week-long DELab will cover the basics of development entrepreneurship customized to your goals and potential. You will be connected with the tools, resources, and network to help you succeed in launching a business with an eye for both financial success and measurable social impact. We support both for profit and self-financing, not-for-profit concepts.
- Six day workshop
- February 5-10, 2018
- 20-25 participants
- Topics covered:
- Success stories in the global entrepreneurship movement
- Human-Centered Design, Lean Startup, and more
- Investor Pitch
- Measuring Social Impact
- Budgeting and Finance
- Participants will have the chance to meet with successful Malawian entrepreneurs to learn their stories and hear their advice.
There are no course fees associated with the program. However, participants are responsible for their own travel to and from the MUST campus, as well as their food and accommodations.
All applicants to the DELab and Incubator must possess the following criteria:
- A desire to create social, environmental, and/or economic change
- A desire to run your own social entrepreneurship
- An innovative mindset
- A passion for rewarding work
- Both written and spoken English
- Your business must primarily benefit Malawian customers.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
It is preferred but not required that the applicant will have a background in environmental conservation, agriculture, public health, water/sanitation, ICT, energy poverty, education or another poverty alleviation strategy. A background in business or tech innovation is also ideal. Bring us your best ideas!
How to Apply
If you have further questions on our program, please see our Frequently Asked Questions or email Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions will be accepted until January 8th, 2018, 12:00 Midnight CAT. Late submissions will not be considered.